A Kurdish Engagement Party




I was invited by one of our staff to an engagement party that was quite an experience for me. They were Kurdish Moslem. What fascinated me was the myriad of colors they were wearing in their traditional costumes and my God the gold ornaments must have cost like $3,000. The family of the girl which includes the cousins and aunts stayed in one living room. The men were staying in the other part of the room. Then the boy’s family came with sweets they call paklava and softdrinks for the event. Then they started this loud howling and dancing outside the house. It’s like tarzan’s howl when he swings in the jungle. I asked them why they do that and as what I understood from their smidgens of English it was to like a call to parteyyy. Pictures attached.

Comments

Popular Posts